Monday, November 3, 2008

Grover from Sesame Street- The Pillow.

So, I decided that I should do something a bit different. I thought that the idea was cool, of making and sewing together a pillow that's gridded out, and rectangular. The other day, though, I went and bought a sewing machine, and then a day or two later, after bludgeoning a number of my old pairs of jeans and some old sheets that I have, I decided to head over to JoAnn fabrics on West Broad street to take a look at some better options than what I had lying around. I wandered through cotton twill, and thinner cotton sheets, and, while I loved the colors, I felt generally uninspired. Then I passed the fleece area. I saw some blue fleece, and it dawned on me- I should make a pillow out of Grover's head, from Sesame Street. I'd had an interest in simple puppet making. I'd never made any kind of professional puppet, other than sock puppets, but- I would like a cool decorative pillow, so I decided to take account of what colors I would need, and go with it. That I did. I took stock of everything that I had learned about stitching with a sewing machine online, and bought enough fabric to make a relatively sizeable Grover head pillow. I think that it turned out really nicely. It' a pretty simple, though tedious process to make it, but you might enjoy making one yourself. Check out the PowerPoint step-by-step that I have posted here, and make one for yourself! Don't go mass producing them or selling them, since you have to give the Henson's their due respect, but make one for yourself or a friend, and enjoy!

No comments: